Copyright info

This entire site started ⓒ August 5, 2010 to present day, and all photographs and text herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the visual artist and photographer, Muriel Zimmer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Day 119 December 1, 2010

Sara, Tai, & Jen as girls in Cape Breton
Another country heard from... those sweet days of youth bring memories of the ecstasy of summer.

In my summer as a girl I'd stop to taste the tiniest droplet of sap from the blossom of the honeysuckle bush. There was no hurrying this process.  First I'd inhale the smell from the bush and then pluck one blossom and pull it apart to expose its one fat droplet of juice which I'd then quickly taste before the tender petals fell away in my hands. Then another and another, until I was satisfied by its taste.   Or I'd deeply breathe in the fragrance from my mother's roses, just for a moment.  But the very best part of summer, that could perhaps only be equalled by my love for swimming outdoors, was to savour the ripeness and inexplicable delights of my favourite food that peaked in summer, fruit.

Peaches, early apples, nectarines, plums, apricots, grapes, pears, dates, figs, watermelon, canteloupe, honeydew melon, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, each fruit had its own unique shape, colour and taste.   The one commonality all fruit shared was its sweet juice.

What is your favourite food?  Can you still remember lingering over its taste?

No comments:

Post a Comment