Copyright info

This entire site started ⓒ August 5, 2010 to present day, and all photographs and text herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the visual artist and photographer, Muriel Zimmer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Day 130 December 12, 2010


from the rooftop of the green Farmers' market building at the Pier, Halifax, N.S. 



What a day in the neighborhood!  Clear, sunny, cool, but not really cold with just a light breeze,  the kind of day that makes you sit up and take notice.  That’s how I felt when I went outside this morning.  With such an auspicious day, I spent some quality time outdoors. 

First, David and I replaced some bulbs in the string of lights that decorate our house.  Then we tackled a new festive project, decorating a blue spruce tree with lights.  This blue spruce tree is one we planted ourselves. We bought it from a nursery as a living Christmas tree that we then planted in its permanent location the following spring.  We banked it with several bales of hay outdoors over the winter once Christmas was over.  Let me tell you, tackling that now 25 foot tree was a bit formidable.  David did the dance with the ladder, moving it around the tree’s base several times while I hung the lights.  Of course, we ran out of lights.  Isn’t that always the way?  No worries.  We’ll get more tomorrow.  It was fun wrestling with those prickly branches in the fresh air.

Secondly, I drove to the city of Halifax to spend some time with my youngest daughter.  She’d been aching to show me the new green building at the waterfront that houses the farmers’ market.  As I drove in, gliding along in my comfortable car, I snacked on nuts and raisins.  Then it dawned on me; this was the exact food I’d eaten when I first entered Nova Scotia.  I’d eaten nuts and dried fruit every day for five days straight as I crossed this vast country by train, from Vancouver to Halifax nearly 40 years ago.

As I drove down the highway with the forest close at hand on both sides of the road, I marveled at all the changes that had happened in my life in the last 40 years.  I was very grateful for all the gifts given to me by the universe.  Once in the city, my daughter and I spent lots of time at the new farmers’ market, and we drank in the glorious view of the ocean through the floor to ceiling windows on the waterfront side of the building.  Just before leaving we went up to the roof.  The view was even larger there.  I’ve pictured it here in this post.  It was a rather still day for being so close to the ocean, as you can tell by the static position of the wind turbines.  We let the vastness of the view soak into our bones for a little while.  The quality of the air was spectacular. 

The air coming off of water has a certain special quality.  Invigorating. The sense of space you feel when you look at a view over the water fills you with hope.  I certainly hope that you found something to be grateful for today.  Yes, I certainly hope so.  And there's another chance coming, tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment