Copyright info

This entire site started ⓒ August 5, 2010 to present day, and all photographs and text herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the visual artist and photographer, Muriel Zimmer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Day 120 December 2, 2010

Day 120  'hens and chickens in flower'


It is warm enough today that I am gardening.  I weed the flower beds by the kitchen entrance, transplant several perennial flowers, one so large I had to drag it across the lawn on the shovel because I couldn't pick it up.  I rescued several clumps of the hens and chickens' flower that I posted an image of today, to place them around the edges of the flower bed below a large picture window.  The new rose bush got wrapped in hay and landscape fabric.  I'm new to roses so I'm trying to model my work on the gardener who kept my last place of employment looking spectacular year round.  And there are still the last of the carrots to unearth, but they might have to continue to be patient with me.

The quality of the air today reminds me of Ireland, moist gray, cool air, just on the verge of forming a mist.  By the time I get back indoors after gardening for well over one hour, I am sweated through my clothes.  My hands are still warm as I inch off muddy work gloves and drop them onto the porch floor.  There is just something about dirt.  I love it.  I love what it does, it nourishes plants.  But I'm not just in love with the plants, it's the dirt too.  I like building it up, feeding it compost and fish meal, manure and soybean meal and lots of hay.  I feed it and it feeds me.

Embrace part of your day today.   Find something to do that makes you completely stop thinking.  Just be.

No comments:

Post a Comment