Copyright info

This entire site started ⓒ August 5, 2010 to present day, and all photographs and text herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the visual artist and photographer, Muriel Zimmer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Day 147 December 29, 2010

Day 147  Cleo and Moses


So perhaps your day hasn't been so wonderful.... perhaps your blog has stopped working properly and you've had six people from the IT department working on it, and still it's a no go.  The good news is, you are okay.

This reminds me of a dear friend who has had a large share of health issues over the last five years.  He is a young man who is recovering from a traumatic brain injury.  He is making miraculous progress yet there are days when it is such a slow recovery process he loses faith.  He gets distraught.

Once when I visited him he had only negative statements for me.  I pointed this out to him.  I reminded him that if he was looking for a pessimistic friend he was talking to the wrong person.  I am an eternal optimist. I am well aware that there is enough hardship in this world that I could cry 24 x 7 to express all the sadness, but I don't.  Instead, I look to the good in life. I direct my focus to the positive.

And so when my friend continued to complain about his very painful ankle that was keeping him from walking properly, to say that it was a mess, that it would never get better, that it was a write off, ....after listening to him talk for a few minutes I stopped him and said,  "Do you want to know the good news about your ankle?"  He did.  I told him, "The good news about your ankle is that you have an ankle."  This stopped him.  He was silent.  He stopped complaining.

So just when things are at their darkest, when you cry because you just have to, and you are not one to usually cry, realize that we all need to cry at times.  It is our turn.  To cry is to be human.  After you are done crying, see the good around you.  There must be something that is good.  Perhaps a cool wind is blowing, perhaps you are in a warm room, perhaps dinner is soon, perhaps you can call up a pleasing memory, perhaps you, just you, have touched your own awareness of the gift we all share.  It is called life.

No comments:

Post a Comment