Copyright info

This entire site started ⓒ August 5, 2010 to present day, and all photographs and text herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the visual artist and photographer, Muriel Zimmer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Day 109 November 21, 2010


One day at a time.  This is the best way to approach many things, including a yoga practice.  For me, I really appreciate having the opportunity to assist in a beginner’s yoga class once a week.  I guess that's because Iyengar yoga has given me so much I want to pass it on to others.

As a beginner, it is common to get discouraged, but try to see that this work, Iyengar yoga, is totally non-competitive, no matter what anyone else is doing, all you need to do is your best.  

Years ago I needed to do a restorative practice for about a year and a half due to a health issue that contra-indicated a practice with headstands or standing poses, etc.  So I went to class and did what I needed to do and everyone else did the class following David’s instructions.  David researched what practice would benefit me and he told me to do only that practice whenever I practiced, no ands, ifs or buts.  That was a big change for a year and a half.  After one class during that time, Petra, a long time friend in the yoga studio, told me that she wished she could do what I was doing and I replied, well I was wishing I could do what you were doing.  The grass is always greener syndrome even applies in yoga.

Part of the journey is to learn that Iyengar yoga is modified to help each individual.  True there are the classic poses, but it doesn't matter if you ever achieve them.  Only do your best each day.  Work with what you've got.  Each body has lots of issues.  Guruji B.K.S. Iyengar himself was an incredibly sickly child and very stiff from having spent such extended periods of time in bed when he started yoga at age 11.  To put it mildly, yoga helped him regain his health.

There is no" keeping up with the class" in Iyengar yoga.  A dedicated Iyengar yoga teacher, and they are all dedicated, is very willing help anyone who is sincerely interested in the work.  That's what they do.  You might need to have a special restorative practice,  like I did at one point, or move to a completely restorative class when you begin, but you just do the work, one day at a time, and believe me, it helps.

photo of Saturday class by Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment