Copyright info

This entire site started ⓒ August 5, 2010 to present day, and all photographs and text herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the visual artist and photographer, Muriel Zimmer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).

Friday, October 29, 2010

Day 86 October 29, 2010

Well, I'm home again.  Such a long journey.  Actually it was only 13 long days and nights.  The 10 hours of driving back and forth to St. John, New Brunswick were well worth the effort because of the 5 hours of yoga, as well as getting to know the fine folks that organized and attended the workshop.  David led us so well.  It was a very special experience, thanks especially to kindness shown by Doris, Marie and Truly.

The rest of the journey mainly revolved around a boat trip with Jim, my brother.  He and I had a very rewarding time together.  We both obviously love boats and water.  I miss water the way you miss an old friend.  Jim bought his first boat with his good friend Paul at the ripe age of 12.  Jim financed his portion of the purchase with his own money that he'd earned on his newspaper route and by mowing lawns.  His current boat is his biggest yet at 36 feet long, 14 feet wide, and it includes a fly bridge.

NYC from aboard Forever Young 2010


It felt very strange to drive my car today.  I kept thinking, where's the water?  I did see water in Halifax harbour.  I drove over the bridge and gazed longingly at that expanse of water, the same water I worked on as a deckhand during my time with the Inshore Rescue Boat program.

The funniest moment during my drive was when I pulled past a full sized pick up truck hauling a canoe in the back on the highway.  The best of both worlds I guess.  A truck and a boat.  I thought of Jim today, driving his tractor on the farm, harvesting his potatoes.  From the car to the boat to the truck to the tractor, he is one man who loves to drive a vehicle.

I liken the practice of Iyengar yoga to driving your own body like a vehicle.  You are your own mechanic too.  You drive yourself on vacations to new places you'd never think you'd ever visit.  You remodel yourself, turn out a new model every year.  And the best part is, you feel more satisfied with each year's model than you ever thought possible.  Try it some time, you might enjoy it too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment