Copyright info

This entire site started ⓒ August 5, 2010 to present day, and all photographs and text herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the visual artist and photographer, Muriel Zimmer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Day 80 October 23, 2010




What's vertical?  What's horizontal?  Is your day proceeding as planned?

Location: remote area near Tofino, B.C.  Lovely walk down to the beach.  Prior to our return walk up the long hill we'd been warned by a couple who made a point of talking to us on the beach (that had only 5 people on it) that we might encounter a bear, for they had on their way down.  No problem, I thought.  That is until I actually started up the hill.  I went first, to protect my youngest who walked behind me.  Quickly I tried to remember everything I knew about bears, not much.  We made a lot of noise, intentionally.

The way was narrow and rocky.  I just didn't want to meet a bear in a tight curve through the rocks.  I kept scanning the woods, seeing as far ahead as I could.  Mid way, a bird landed screeching, about 3 feet away from us.  We both screamed.  So much for remaining calm.  Fortunately it was only a bird.  Mind you, I was ready to die defending my young, if need be.  I just wasn't looking forward to it.  

Nothing but relief hit me after our 20 minute walk, when I saw the top of the hill nearing, for I knew the parking lot was close.  Back to humanity.  That remote location was quite special and it filled me with a peaceful calmness.  The return trip up that hill though, well, so much for serenity.  I did get some good photos though! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment