Copyright info

This entire site started ⓒ August 5, 2010 to present day, and all photographs and text herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the visual artist and photographer, Muriel Zimmer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Day 74 October 17, 2010

I've written earlier about how plants can calm me down.  I meditate as I garden.  It's about the process, more than the final effect.  There were years when I actually lost interest in my garden produce once it crossed the threshold into my kitchen.  All of a sudden my hard won vegetables  became "just carrots, or just garlic".  It was the process that captivated me, not the product.  David is our primary cook.  I do some cooking but his cooking is inspired compared to mine.  He is just a much better cook.  We do make a good team.  I am the one who loves to grow the food and he loves to cook it.  David is now slowly learning to love growing the food and I am now slowly learning how to love cooking the food.

Similarly to my relationship with gardening, in my art practice it is often the process that captures me more than the final product.  Yes, now I do love the art when it is finished, but I had to grow into that feeling.  For a while I was much more interested in the making of the art than in the art product once it was done.  When the art was done then I was left with the feeling, "Oh, it's finished.  Now what? ... Time to start another project."

What do you love doing?


No comments:

Post a Comment