Copyright info

This entire site started ⓒ August 5, 2010 to present day, and all photographs and text herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the visual artist and photographer, Muriel Zimmer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).

Friday, July 8, 2011

Day 338 July 8, 2011

detail of acrylic painting
Did I remember to tell you I painted my first canvas this spring?  With my daughter Jen's encouragement I just went for it.  She was buying a large canvas and paints and she just turned to me and asked, Have you painted a canvas yet mom? That question and the teasing smile on her face were all the encouragement I needed.

I did some sketching, some creative dreaming and a loose water colour treatment before I tackled the canvas.  I read a book on how to complete an acrylic painting after I'd started. Then there were the changes I made to the design as I worked from with my original idea.

Repainting some areas several times, standing back to see how it looked from ten feet away, just looking at it for a week or so to see how it looked on each new day, I finally felt satisfied.  Now I plan to make a series of paintings based on small parts of this canvas.  Simplify each one.  Nothing extra.  Minimize the design elements.

Have you done anything brand new, for the first time, this year?  Was it fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment