Copyright info

This entire site started ⓒ August 5, 2010 to present day, and all photographs and text herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the visual artist and photographer, Muriel Zimmer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Day 162 January 13, 2011

Just returned from walking the doggies nearly out to the river and back, on snowshoes.  Now I know I have hips.  We got lots of snow yesterday.  The first wildlife I encountered on my walk was a gorgeous white and gray hawk that alighted on a tree a mere 60 feet away from me.  I think the hawk was saying hello as it looked right at me.

There were also two eagles on a tree by the river's edge, but just as I was looking forward to getting closer to them and watching them fly off I noticed three coyotes on the opposite shore of the river.  This made me turn back.  They were at a distance but coyotes can no longer be trusted in my neighborhood.  Their reputation has diminished due to their attacks on pets and on an unsuspecting young person last year, in another part of the province.  The young woman did not survive the attack.  So now I wear a whistle and a small can of bear mace when I walk the dogs and I keep a look out for coyotes.  Fortunately, the dykelands where I walk the dogs are vast and nearly flat so you can see things at a great distance.

Having said that, coyotes are beautiful animals.  I just want them to stay away from me and my pets.  This red tailed hawk was perched in a tree near home one day so I pulled over to watch it.  Then it flew right past me.  This is one of the things I treasure in my life.  Nature.  It inspires me.  I bet it inspires you too!  Perhaps you prefer your contacts with nature in parks, or in films or in books.  But I bet you still are in awe of it and its changes, its beauty.  Yes, keep that awe.  It reminds us of how to look at our world through the eyes of a child.  In wonder.


red tailed hawk



No comments:

Post a Comment