Copyright info

This entire site started ⓒ August 5, 2010 to present day, and all photographs and text herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the visual artist and photographer, Muriel Zimmer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Day 6 August 10, 2010

The pastel is done.  That was fun, reinventing it nearly entirely.  I'm new to pastels.  They are very forgiveable, just add more colour and you can change lots.  The green of summer, my favourite season, and purple, my favourite colour,  predominate in this drawing. There is a hint of an organic branch form and a few berry shapes, but the abstracted purple forms in the background are even more visually powerful than the organic plant forms.  Abstraction wins over realistic imaginings.

It's like staring into space with your eyes open.  You zone out and everything gets softer, out of focus and it just looks very different.  Like the state of introspection, when your eyes are open but you are really looking within, nothing outside of yourself is in focus.  In my drawing the abstracted background appears more in focus than the branch form.

This also happens in yoga asana practise.  I kind of remember that at first one of the things about yoga that really appealed to me was this inward focus, with the eyes open.  I used to need to zone out even before I did yoga.  I had to put myself in neutral so to speak, and just let all that stimulus of our busy, busy world disappear.  I think I was bored, that is why I zoned out.  But in yoga I'm never bored.  It is intellectually stimulating and very challenging physically.  It also humbles you, because you cannot achieve the classic form of the asana easily, at least I cannot.  This might be due to the fact that I started yoga so late in my life.  I was 40 when I started.

To all those who begin something new, at whatever age, it doesn't matter, just be fearless and be playful.  It helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment