Copyright info

This entire site started ⓒ August 5, 2010 to present day, and all photographs and text herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the visual artist and photographer, Muriel Zimmer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Day 18 August 22, 2010

David and I worked on the garden today. He is tilling so I can plant a green manure crop in certain sections.  It is heavy work because we removed landscape fabric that proved to be ineffective around our ten blueberry bushes.  We'll put white clover there instead and mulch around the bushes. Tomorrow will see us back in the garden for a while.  I harvested tons of grape tomatoes.  Very lovely little round items. 

I'm working on hanging ceramic plates, painting them with acrylic paint and I'm having a mysteriously fun time with the process. Painting is pretty new to me, well artistic painting that is. House painting is very familiar. Yes I've decorated my ceramic work before, but only with slips, stains, glazes, scraffito, carving etc. and  I always fired the work to set the decoration. Today's work is different. I need new. The immediate feedback of painting on fired sculpture clay is great. Playful colours. Playful brush strokes. Fun, I need fun.  Lots of fun.  I'm writing myself a prescription right this moment, just like Denise did once, to have as much "me" time and fun time as possible for the next little while.  Let's say for the next week.

Tired hands today so I did a hand practice from one of Dona Holleman's books.  Gomukhasana was tough.  It always is.  Third time was the charm, as always.  I cannot believe how stiff I am.  Painful.  But with a few repetitions, thus the three times, I get some movement finally.  Actually the progress is rapid, but that first time is not anything like easy.   Enough complaints.  Perhaps I need the tee shirt.  "Complaining will not get you anywhere.  Just practice."  I don't think that shirt would be a great seller.

After my hand practice there were pleasant tingles in my hands, fingers and wrists. Voila.  I was also much calmer and I noticed my tiredness.  So, instead of forcing myself to jump up and do my normal inversions and a few standing poses, I just sat there, for a long time.  By the time my sternum was lifting towards my hands, my femurs tucked into their sockets, my shoulders down and back, the muscles between my shoulder blades contracting, and my collarbones stretching, I was perfectly happy.  I did the Ode to Patanjali aloud and when I finally came out of the sitting my right leg was pretty numb.  Oh well, small price to pay.  Savasana was lovely too.

David and I took a break during our gardening extravaganza.  We sat on our freshly painted deck in turquoise chairs which looked amazing next to the brown floor and crisp white railings.  We drank hibiscus sun tea, which was a gorgeous shade of coral red, which contrasted beautifully of course to the brown, white, and turquoise.  The sky was blue with long cumulus clouds lined up over the river.  Ah ....summer.  You are my favourite indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment