Copyright info

This entire site started ⓒ August 5, 2010 to present day, and all photographs and text herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the visual artist and photographer, Muriel Zimmer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Day 15 August 19, 2010

Another day in paradise.  Sunny nearly all day.  David and I painted the living room today.  Only the 2nd top coat tomorrow and we'll be done with the messy part and will then need to clean up and move stuff back.  By the time it was yoga practice time the house reeked of paint fumes, even with 4 fans going and all our windows open.  So I found a shady spot on the kitchen deck and practiced outside.  Looking at the sky during headstand and shoulder stand was uplifting.  The clouds cheered me up.

I look at some of the gorgeous art in our house.  On the top shelf of the downstair's bookcase there is a coral coloured papier mache taxi, made in Cuba.  It is about ten inches long.  I still remember the proud look on the woman's face who made it when I told her I wanted to buy it.  She was filled with the look I remember on my own face when I sold pottery directly to customers at a craft fair.  Happy to know that someone else liked your work well enough to purchase it.

Then there is the white shell that my friend Paul cut into a native symbol. Beautiful and crisp in design.  Soulful. It draws you in. An orchid is next, still flowering with three soft pastel green flowers.  The orchid, shell and taxi all sit in front of a watercolour my youngest gave me that she made while she was in India.  The watercolour is pale blues with black ink work.

Lastly, three small photographs.  David and his sister Faye as small children sit for a formal black and white portrait. They are both holding small toys and they look pleased.  In another frame there are two photos. The frame hinges in the middle.  From a distance the two photos are similar in content, two couples.  In the first David and I are in costume standing side by side. You cannot see any space between us and we each hold our hands lightly clasped in front of us; David looks Shakespearean in black and I look medieval and regal in red.  We are in our forties.  The companion photo is of my parents in their early thirties. This means their photo was taken around 1936. They are wearing jodpurs and light weight sweaters.  Mother is in dark colours with a cloche knit hat and Dad wears very light colours; he has his hands in his pockets.  They are standing side by side and Mother is leaning into Dad with one of her shoulders behind his back; one of her hands is in her pocket while the other rests in Dad's open elbow.  They are in front of a dark car with whitewall tires. They are both thin, elegant and look quite happy in their pose.

On a day like today, life becomes art. 

No comments:

Post a Comment