Copyright info

This entire site started ⓒ August 5, 2010 to present day, and all photographs and text herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the visual artist and photographer, Muriel Zimmer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Day 200 February 20, 2011

Day 200  sculpture clay, acrylic paint


Today is day 200.  Hurrah!   As I unplug my iphone after charging its battery I notice the time is 5:55.  Does this happen to you?  Several times a week when I glance at the clock it is 3:33, 4:44 or 11:11, or some other repetition of similar numbers.  I make sense of this repetitive co-incidence and think that the numbers play with me, to cheer me up about their very existence.  

Okay. This is when I tell you that in grade 9 I had a verbally abusive teacher who humiliated me daily in math class.  I have math anxiety.  I get blocked using numbers.  I can balance a budget and do simple numerical things but alegebra and beyond makes me fearful.  Did I remember to say that I cried every day in grade 9 math class?

So now, many, many years later, it seems that numbers try to convince me to lighten up.  I'm grateful for this.  And I think it might be working.  The reason why I'm telling you this story is that it has a happy ending.  Surprise, surprise, I worked for 18 years as an educator teaching in the middle school mostly.  English and art.  I was one of the nicest, kindest teachers I could possibly be.  So the moral of this story is that sometimes when difficult things happen to you the difficulties teach you to make a new way for yourself.  I definitely knew how important it is to not humiliate a student.  I'd already lived through that lesson myself.  So if you find yourself in the middle of a difficult situation, hold on to the idea that you will become stronger from that challenge.  You will prevail and things will get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment