Copyright info

This entire site started ⓒ August 5, 2010 to present day, and all photographs and text herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the visual artist and photographer, Muriel Zimmer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).

Friday, February 18, 2011

Day 198 February 18, 2011



sushi


Here is what really helped me today.  Perhaps it would help you too?  I awakened not feeling 100%.  The winter cough.  It was trying to get my attention again.  So, instead of eating my normal hot oatmeal with raisen for breakfast, I drank 3 cups of liquid.  Cup One was Japanese reishi tea, honey and Korean ginseng extract mixed together.  Actually this 'cup one' is the first thing I drink each morning in the winter.  Cup Two was Japanese brown rice green tea with some extra green tea mixed in and honey.  Cup Three was warm water.

Then I proceeded to do yoga, paying great attention to my posture in seated poses and in a psoas stretch with one foot up on a high stool, the other leg firmly planted on the floor with my supporting leg straight.  In one of the seated poses I encouraged my shoulders to open and move back with a belt for support.   I also supported my uneven shoulder blades with blocks in savasana.  I didn't hurry.

Then I was ready to eat.  I made Japanese miso soup using blonde and brown miso, wasabe seaweed and kombu seaweed with shaved bonito in the dashti stock.  Cubed miso and well browned onions and my own home grown organic garlic, and lots of it, rounded out this soup.  One more cup of brown rice green tea helped me get through the cooking.  Whenever I feel a little off I make miso soup.  It is my comfort food.  It tastes soothing.

When the soup was done I sat down and had four large servings, one right after the other. By this time it was 1:30pm.  Satisfied, I realized that I was starting to feel a little better.  No more coughing since the tea I drank before yoga.  No weakness.  The warm liquids and the supportive yoga had done the trick.

What is your "I'm taking a sick day" regimen?  If you aren't a fan of yoga, perhaps returning to bed would do the trick for you.  Read a great book.  Drink clear soup.  Lighten the load on your digestive system so that more energy can be directed to your immune system.  Listen to music.  Rest.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment