Copyright info

This entire site started ⓒ August 5, 2010 to present day, and all photographs and text herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the visual artist and photographer, Muriel Zimmer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Day 255 April 16, 2011


US Coast Guard in action


At one point when I had returned to university I worked for three years for the Canadian Coast Guard in their inshore rescue boat program.  Boating season.  What fun!

Did I mention that you needed to remain calm in the midst of possible danger to yourself and others?  At least calm enough to function, to perform your job.  Once my immediate superior told me, No!  Don't do it!  I was stripping off my lifejacket to prepare for diving overboard in a search for possible survivors at the location of a downed sailboat we'd been sent to investigate.  My superior protected me from getting tangled in the unseen lines and sails underwater.  I was naive enough to think I would have no problem negotiating through a completely submerged sailboat in the cold, opaque waters of the outer harbour.  I was wrong.  


Sometimes it is really important to listen and realize that you are wrong about something.  Educators call that a 'teaching moment'.  You can see your students are really listening and learning something at that exact moment. 


The practice of yoga has many such moments.  You listen and realize, oh, that's how you do it.  Sometimes it is because the last ten times your teacher told you this direction you just were too busy with all the other directions to even hear that one.  Or perhaps you weren't ready yet.  When you are ready, then that light bulb moment happens and you learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment